Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My Patio Garden


June 8th, the beginning of my patio garden. This year I'm growing Sun Gold tomatoes, patty pan squash, a variety of mint, peas and more. Everything got off to a bit of a late start, because I wasn't inspired to plant until it really seemed like summer was here. I have only one small corner of sunshine (which every fruit-bearing plant needs a lot of) so every living thing (plants, humans, and animals) hang out together. One of my favourite things are these custom-built boxes for greens and other shallow-rooting, small plants. The original plans appeared in Organic Gardening magazine. These boxes are very simple: 1 x 4"s, some screws, and the bottom is supported by galvanized hardware cloth and vinyl window screen. Handles on either end make them easy to move around.



No comments:

Post a Comment